People have stated that I was too harsh on Desmond Tutu and his anti-HIV activities. Thats okay! You like Tutus work, fantastic! I, however, think that his words and actions against the radical religious groups invading Africa are muted due to the fact that he himself is part of a religious organization.
It was half-assed of me to snap at him without showing an example of an organization and a leader that I like in the War on HIV/AIDS. I eventually did in the comments, but I think it deserves its own post.
This is an Anti-AIDS organization.
Treatment Action Campaign
I know you all can click over to Wiki to read all about it, but heres why I like them:
- Founded by an atheist. A gay atheist. A gay atheist infected with HIV.
- While TAC makes compromises to include religious groups in TACs activities, they have no problem calling bullshit bullshit.
- Oh just being mouthy anti-magic groups isnt enough to win my approval-- Check out the top link: AIDStruth. Yeah baby!
- They helped refute Farbers Denialist crap.
- An atheist posting anti-Denialist stuff is great, but what I care about are actions. This group is all about action and civil disobedience.
- They dont just debunk Denialists, they go after them.
- They defend everyone. Its easy to care about mothers and infants. Its hard to care about convicted criminals.
- Click around on their site-- there are lots of cool finds.
*shrug* When real people are providing real help, I just dont find Tutu's words particularly remarkable, other than the fact he is a magician speaking some sense on a few topics.
Save praise for the praiseworthy.