Monday, October 22, 2007

'Flock of Dodos' in OK

On October 28, the 'Margaret Mead Traveling Film and Video Festival' will bring 'Flock of Dodos' to the Sam Noble Natural History Museum.

Of course, I have a test on the 29th, so Im not sure if I will be able to go-- But I did recently get to see 'Flock of Dodos', thanks to Netflix. I think it is awesome that Randy Olson is following his dreams, and I think he could team up with XVIVO and other heavily pro-science entertainment companies to do some really cool stuff for science education.

Believe it or not, despite my track record in dealing with Creationists and the fact I grew up in Missouri (we get the KC Star, Mom sends me funny Creationist letters-to-the editor from the Metro section too hehehe!), I learned a lot from 'Flock.' As Ive said a million times on this blog, I had a very sheltered upbringing. I didnt understand 'Creationism Wars I' when it was happening, so it was really cool to see all of the characters involved in that fiasco.

But I didnt like how Randy fr*med the characters in 'Flock.'

It was cliche.

And false.

  1. I do not want to have a beer with Bill Dembski. I dont want to have a beer with Michael 'LiLo' Behe. They are not 'nice people'. They are not 'charismatic speakers.' Theyre professional con-artists and pathological jerks. Whats so nice about attacking students? Whats so nice about Behes non-science reply? Theyre jerks. Call them on it. Quit playing their 'Oh Im just a good-ol-boy' game.
  2. Get a bunch of drunk scientists together and have them talk about Creationists. Thats a great idea *rolleyes* Get a bunch of drunk scientists together and get them to talk about some topic in HIV research-- youll get the same response. Belligerent, yelling over one another, good times. But get a bunch of sober scientists together to have a forum with college students about Creationism, and youll get a completely different response. Certainly there are 'personalities' in science, but scientists in general are nice, and want nothing more than to share their research with anyone who asks. We're talking over your head? Say something! We will try to fix it! Still over your head, we will try again! And dont give me that Ivory Tower crap either. Been there, done that.
So liked the movie, hated the cliche 'fr*mes', and would love to leave the confines of my Ivory Tower give Randy Olson a tour of the Sam Noble exhibit on evolution, if hes ever in town (I worked/work with everyone who put together the HIV section).

20 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ERV said...

Thanks for posting while I was online so I could catch your IP ;)

This is the internet. You arent anonymous. Clean up your act.

Bob O'Hara said...

But you are nothing more that a DOWNSTREAM PURVEYOR of the UNDEMONSTRATED FAIRY TALE ASSERTIONS OF THE ARMIES OF PHILOSOPHICALLY INTOXICATED IDIOTS WHO HAVE HAD THE PRIVILEDGE OF DOMINATING A VACOUS SLICE OF SCIENCE FOR THE LAST WHATEVER YEARS!!!!!

Right, that has to go at the start of your thesis.

Bob (upstream purveyor of etc. etc.)

Anonymous said...

Do you know if the movie is going to be in Tulsa or Stillwater any time soon? I am not going to be able to make it down to Norman this weekend, and I would dearly love to see the film.

Mobius Mk 2

Tyler DiPietro said...

"and at the HUGE socio-economic expense of those poor individuals who have, without any real choice, had to fund the "clit-massaging" preferences of the ones who have been entrusted to REALLY TEACH GOOD SCIENCE!!!!!!"

anon whoever the fuck,

It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean.

Sweet dreams.

Josh said...

You don't happen to go to UMKC do you? Because that would be awesome (I'm starting biological studies there either next semester or next fall).

As for the KC Star, they actually had an article on Atheism a few weeks ago, and the Humanist group I belong to in town keeps working to get more and more exposure. It's a slow process, but they're gaining ground.

Israel Barrantes said...

What an 'anonymous' idiot. Obviously he/she knows less of web management than of science, otherwise he/she would have seen the sitemeter logo below.

Anyway, being skeptical or rational (i.e., thinking that ID is nonsense) doesn't mean that we are all NeoDarwinists. I am not, for example. I believe in Evolution but Darwin is not the whole picture -- there is the Epigenetic dimension too, and maybe there are more evolutionary aspects that we don't know by know.

but it will never be true, for example, that humans and dinosaurs coexisted (haha)

VWXYNot? said...

Tyler, I copied the same text you did in order to make a WTF???? comment, but I liked your saying much better.

Israel Barrantes said...

haha i meant 'we don't know by NOW'
my german lessons are taking the side of my brain stored for english, too bad...

hope that my french and spanish are stored elsewhere, otherwise i'll be mute really soon.

minimalist said...

I don't know what's funnier, Neal/anonymous' Tourette's outbursts, or the fact that (profanity aside) he seems to think he's actually making substantive points that we're all ignoring.

I feel bad for laughing, though. The guy's seriously deranged and headed for some sort of meltdown. I just hope he doesn't hurt anyone.

Jon Voisey said...

And that troll hasn't been banned yet?

I used to keep mine around for giggles, but eventually they just started making me even more depressed at the state of ignorance in the world. :'(

Torbjörn Larsson said...

TO MAKE A REAL LIVING!!!!!!

As if fighting HIV isn't a real living and a good cause? Then what is real living, one wonders. Shouting ones head off in insane tirades on a blog?

Btw, I note that this is Neal on meds, he is now down to 5 !'s on the Neal Insanity Scale. He will drop of the radar in a few days, until the cycle starts again.

Torbjörn Larsson said...

Oops, sorry, make that 6 !'s, down from 7. IIRC the threshold goes at 5 !'s, so there are a few days wait still.

Kristjan Wager said...

I watched the movie when it was shown here in Copenhagen, and also had some issues with it - see my review for more. Even so, I think it's a good contribution to the debate.

dustin said...

Does motherfucker even read the posts before flaming? I mean, you can't really insult someone properly unless the insult is somehow grounded in reality.

I think he's probably a bot, or has hundreds of examples of his unique writing style on his hard drive that he just copies and pastes. That would also explain why he keeps appending variations on "POST THIS!!1!" (the strangest one I've seen so far being a "Please post this.") to his demented shit.

Kicker said...

Well, if framed correctly, there can be no debate between us and them, as debate is based on logic and well, thats something lacking on their end. Maybe ERV just likes to debate and really isn't a framer hater. Of course, the main problem with the framing debate is the people on the pro side of the debate not being good at framing.

Annyday said...

The real problem with framing is it's just generalized rhetoric with a new name. The advocates've done great at framing enough that the word "framing" has an actual meaning, but past that they're so so lost.

Iron Soul said...

Wow. That was an impressive bunch of non-sense. I'm definitely adding the movie to my netflix queue now. It must be worth seeing if somebody can get that excited about it.

Jon Voisey said...

I just put up a response to this post on my blog. ;)

macro-ev aka post scriptive trivia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.