The Prophesy has been fulfilled!
This Q was funny. I wasnt going to ask the Q I asked. I was going to emphasize the practical importance of evolution. I use evolution every day to work towards curing HIV infections and cancer... and my experiments work. Dembski, on the other hand, poops out a crappy book every 10 years, and... aaaaand... hmm. Well, he doesnt so much *do* anything. But if he is right, my cancer research shouldnt be working. If Behe is right, my virology research shouldnt be working. So why doesnt Creationism intersect with reality?
But then Dembski just pissed me off.
Dembski-- Its not your turn yet! Its not your turn! Its not your turn! Wait your turn!OH! BUT ITS NOT DONE YET!
Me-- *click* Actually, my question follows that...
Me-- I do HIV research. I have for the past few years. Im a graduate student, and I wrote a critique of Behes, eh, latest book, I guess its 'Edge of Evolution'-- Where he states quite clearly that HIV has not evolved in the past 30 years (Dembski 'Yup.') outside of simple mutation there has been no genetic evolution, there has been no protein evolution... and actually there has. Um, I was then invited to your blog to discuss this. I got in about *three* posts, before I was banned. (audience snickers, a few people clap loudly). I was subsequently harassed on my blog, I was slandered on your blog, and youre speaking so much about how "Intelligent Design Creationists are persecuted!" and everyone is out to get them-- So why do you feel its necessary to go after a graduate student that way?
(audience hoots and applauds)
Dembski-- I think your career is pretty secure for the future...
Me-- I would be the happiest unemployed person on the planet.
Dembski--- Frankly I didnt follow the exchange. I dont moderate it...
Me-- You were... at the time you were busy composing a fake letter from the president of Baylor.
(Ian laughs REALLY loud :P)
(Ian sounds like hes going to throw up hes laughing so hard)
Dembski, suddenly rather quiet-- Thats a different matter we can talk about if you...
Me-- Well Im just *assuming* thats what you were doing.
Dembski-- I I I was not following the exchange, I frankly... It was not at the top of my priority list at that point, other people do moderate... (composes himself) YOU present your views, CLEARLY youre trying to embarrass me... Why dont you just... GO to your blog... you know... put all the links for the people there...
Me: Its there! Its endogenousretrovirus.blogspot.com!
Dembski--... Right... ERV is what you went by...
Me-- ERV! I also study endogenous retroviruses and how they relate to cancer! *flash a grin to the audience*
Dembski-- ... Okay... alright... Uh huh... So you can see just how bad we are and just how bad she is... (I grin at the audience again-- really dumb move on Dembskis part-- another game he cant win) and decide for yourself.
(audience roars with applause)
I go back to my seat.
Creationist pissed off in the audience-- What was the QUESTION???----------------------------
Me, in my seat, but happy to point out Creationists are hypocrites over and over and over-- Why do you feel its necessary to attack a graduate student if your science is so *sound*?
Dembski, getting frantic-- I dont think it is! I mean mean if thats what happened Im sorry about it but you know the thing is I was going to shut the blog down about a year and a half ago because I didnt have time for it other people agreed to moderate for me and they usually take a hard line and thats okay with me...
Me-- Sexually harassing me was *hard line*?
Dembski-- You go to Pandas Thumb and do your thing there... you know?
Me-- So much for both sides.
- 'Your career is pretty secure'-- What the hell what that phrase supposed to mean? It was completely off topic. Did he just say it to stall for a minute? Was it a sneaky comment implying HIV is a conspiracy, thus will never be cured? Or is he just admitting that with his (and Behes) world-view, curing HIV (or malaria) is pointless, as their All-Hating God will just make some impossible mutations to save the virus from our feeble mortal materialistic attempts to eliminate it? Once again, ID is a science-stopper. Why cure anything? Why develop drugs and vaccinations? Theres always a bored, hateful god ready and willing to help the 'bad guys' as He pleases. 'Science' is pointless if Creationism is true.
- Didnt follow the exchange? Havent you learned anything from reading my blog, Dembski? Do not get into a passive-aggression war with a Jewish female. Its a game you cannot win. Ever. Especially if you have to lie to do so.
- Dembski told Cottage Cheese the real name of someone defending me on my blog.
- Dembski knew my handle was ERV.
- Pause 1-- "OHMYGOD IM BEING CONFRONTED ABOUT MY BULLY-ESQUE ONLINE BEHAVIOR!"
- Pause 2-- "OHMYGOD! IM BEING CONFRONTED ABOUT MY 8-YEAR-OLD-ESQUE ONLINE BEHAVIOR!"