Saturday, June 16, 2007

A Quiet Win

You all might remember a while back, McCook Community College was planning on letting a Creationist physicist professor teach a 'physics' course on Creationism.

Well the end of May it got pushed onto the Philosophy department (so sorry, philosophers).

Well my old buddies at Nebraska Citizens for Science (best group of science advocates I have ever had the pleasure of meeting) forwarded me a note from NCSE to announce...

The course has been canceled all together! WHOOO!!! The philosophy department didnt want that garbage dumped in their department either! WHOOOOOOO!

Look, Im not saying you cant let a Creationist teach their point of view. It just needs to be in the appropriate environment. My uni let a Creationist bio professor teach an elective, 1 hour, senior course on 'origins' (course was under 'senior seminar'-- I took one in biotechnology, could take one on 'sex in biology'-- fun stuff. He couldnt flunk kids.) Very good news that a Physics or Philo department wont have to put up with Creationist crap.

5 comments:

Dustin said...

I think our philosophy department would have been more than welcoming. I once took a course called "Philosophy and Religion". I'm not sure why I did that. It wasn't philosophy so much as "here's some shit we heard at a New Age fair". By the time the course had ended, the professor had dragged out every creationist canard ever written -- including one I'd never heard before "Materialism is the notion that the universe is made out of carbon atoms".

Fortunately, we have exactly 0 creationists in our physics department.

Davis said...

"Materialism is the notion that the universe is made out of carbon atoms".

How else do you explain the fact that most of it is black?

Seriously, though -- did you press the prof on that one? That's crank-level wacky right there.

Dustin said...

Seriously, though -- did you press the prof on that one? That's crank-level wacky right there.

No. I'd normally have crapped myself, but that was roughly the baseline of the course and I was used to it at that point. For example, she once asked me to define rationality, and this was back around the time that I'd decided that the actuarial sciences were not for me but still had all of it fresh in my head. So I gave the definition from the rational actor model.

She suddenly says something like "I knew you were a teleologist!". I really had nothing to say to that. It was like arguing with a random number generator.

Dustin said...

Ugh. I still have some of the papers I wrote for that class here on my drive. This was back before Michael Ruse proved himself to be a huge douchebag, so I'm quoting him in a couple of places.

I feel dirty.

Bob O'H said...

"Materialism is the notion that the universe is made out of carbon atoms".

How else do you explain the fact that most of it is black?


And the stars mus actually be diamonds.

Bob