Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Oh dear-- tagged twice!

Okay, still no internet at home. Im probably going to go to the Apple Store tonight to get a laptop (need a Mac for school this fall), and I might as well get it now :)

But Ive been tagged twice for '8 Random Things About You'- so I better get on this!
Here are the rules:

  • We have to post these rules before we give you the facts.
  • Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
  • People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
  • At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
  • Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.

  1. Even though I was raised in a small farming community in Missouri, my parents still managed to shelter me from religious fundamentalism. I didnt know people actually *believed* Jesus and Moses and all those characters were real until second grade. I didnt know what Creationists were until college.
  2. People assume since Im so very anti-theistic I have had a 'bad' experience with religion. Nope. Classmates never bothered me about it in school. Mormon/Southern Baptist/Catholic relatives never tried to convert or ostracize me. Only one classmate tried to convert me (that second grade experience), and my parents didnt let me hang out with her anymore. Turns out that was good. That girl grew up to be an ugly, mean little thing.
  3. Our family Sunday-Morning Ritual was watching Star Trek episodes my dad taped from the night before (they were on too late for my bro and I to stay up to watch). We watched the Star Wars Trilogy every Christmas. There was a time in my life I would have seriously considered myself part of the Jedi religion.
  4. I went to lots of nerd camps growing up. One camp was 'the top one half of one percent of all high school sophomores in Missouri.' I so impressed the nerdiest of the geeks and the geekiest of the nerds with my knowledge of the Star Wars Universe, I was given the 'Obi Wan Kenobi' award. I was so mortified, that was the moment I ceased to consider myself part of the Jedi religion.
  5. Ten years later, I can still quote every line of those movies. Right now. But not the 'prequels'. Those suck.
  6. One of my classes at that nerd camp was 'Exploring Religions'. Needless to say, I didnt exactly fit in. One, I already knew all the basic stories that we were learning (most kids hadnt been exposed to religions other than Christianity), and two, I was pissed off we were learning about Christianity/Islam/Hinduism/Buddhism. I wanted to learn about obscure African mythologies and all the reasons to sacrifice someone in South America. Jesus=boring.
  7. My one sorta-friend in that class was a Mormon. I didnt know this until I let out this huge rant against Mormonism on her (Mormon cousins had just done something particularly repulsive). She ended up going to the same college as me. Good times.
  8. My favorite TV show currently airing is 'Big Love'. Seriously, its good. But its only my favorite until 'Dr. Who' is back on in July. I now consider myself part of the Time Lord religion :P
Im going to have to edit this to tag people tonight-- I gotta work!

EDITED 6-24-07, 8.00 pm--

TAG to The Usual Suspects:
Foxy (you two still count as TWO!)
Women in Science (8 things about Women in Science?)

And Blake, for COMPLETELY missing my 'Behe vs HIV' post. He should so be ashamed of himself :P



Kristjan Wager said...

Pretty late nights you have....

ERV said...

That just earned you a TAG mister :P

I put off getting the laptop till tonight, as it now wont be on my card until the next statement, so I get it for 'free' for 2 months (just in case I need to return it for some reason, dont have to deal with a thousand dollar payment-->credit)

But now Ive gotten it, and now Im eating peanut-butter sandwiches for the next couple of months :P

Foxy said...

<3 Doctor Love. You're so awesome.

The Factician said...

Done. Though I confess I broke the rules a bit.

Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy what I wrote.

VWXYNot? said...

Done! 8 entirely random things. I managed to thoroughly depress myself with the last one. Hopefully I can find someone at work to take me out for a cookie.

Kristjan Wager said...

Ok, done it, though why anyone would want to know anything random about me is beyond my understanding.