Tuesday, April 10, 2007

An answer better than that damn 'Frame'

Im glad to see Im not the only one who is still baffled as to the purpose of 'The Frame'. And Im glad to see Im not the only one trying to do something, and that others are better organized than I am.

An astute reader sent me a link to this kick-ass group (which is predictably British):
Sense About Science

Sense About Science is an independent charitable trust. We respond to the misrepresentation of science and scientific evidence on issues that matter to society, from scares about plastic bottles, fluoride and the MMR vaccine to controversies about genetic modification, stem cell research and radiation.

Our recent and current priorities include alternative medicine, MRI, detox, nuclear power, evidence in public health advice, weather patterns and an educational resource on peer review.
Maaaaaaaaaaaaan! I wanna join! Look at these cool pamphlets they have up for order/download:
Making sense of the weather and climate
Sense About... Homeopathy
Maaan even tips for celebrities speaking about science!

And look at this program, specifically for young researchers!

These are people Im going to go to for help and suggestions communicating science to the public.

1 comment:

S E E Quine said...

` Wow! As a mad scientist wannabe, I'll have to agree with you on this! Maaaaaaan! I wanna join!!!! Damn being American.
` I don't think my boyfriend will approve, though, but I don't care. But it's a funny story with him: He says that, though scientific research doesn't support homeopathy, he knows it works for his muscle tension and knows people's lives have been saved by plain water or vodka because he believes everyone's anecdotes.
` So, when I switched his homeopathic remedy for vodka and told him about it two weeks later, he said he didn't believe me because it had been working so well.
` Then I proved it to him by showing him the videotape of me making the switch and he got SO ANGRY!!! He said 'that was so unethical! Why don't you try it first before you assume it doesn't work?'
` Well, I'd tried tons of alternative therapies, all of which didn't work, but not homeopathy. So, wanting to feel less stupid and more scientific, I agreed to.
` See, by that point, he wanted me to try homeopathy for a chronic disorder AND I DID!! Well, I suppose that was the smart thing to do, and I even made him pay... however, we lost about $700 in two months and then had to stop because he completely ran out of money and we were even poorer than ever!
` I'm such a retard sometimes. And of course it didn't work at all!
` Of course I've written all about this on one of my blogs - and I plan to write about another incident; the other night he was saying that this nutritious green powder of ground-up food makes him feel better because of some kind of Chinese hot and cold thing, and it's specially formulated for him.
` He knows someone else who takes a different green powder, and he says the reason it works for him is because it's made just for him.
` I said, 'well, what if you guys took each others' food powders?'
` He said, 'oh no, I'd never do that because it could make us sick.'
` I said, 'maybe the reason it makes you feel better is because it's so nutritious!'
` He agreed that could be so. Then I asked if I could try his powder (it's just dried up grains and vegetables and stuff!) and he said no, because we're so different health-wise that it could make me sick, and if it did I wouldn't notice it or I'd deny it if it was!
` I was offended - he was too for my showing such disrespect for his treasured yin-yang food beliefs.
` So, I don't think I'll bring up this stuff again.

` Anyway, just thought that might be amusing to you. I find that many conflicts are, especially over intellectual matters, though the more insane the better.
` ...That's why I wrote a rebuttal to a friend's beliefs in JRR Tolkien's Ents and winged cavemen.