Saturday, March 24, 2007

Wait, IM the one with father issues?

Okaayy...
Ive got a sweet PNAS article review in the works, but I had to stop to make a post on this insanity.

Oh my fucking god. And these people have the nerve to say I have father issues?? WTF!

Just by sheer coincidence, BF brought this group of nuts up last night in conversation. Now the most recent Creationist Behaving Badly on PZs blog appears to be a participant in this bizarre ritual.

They all have different names-- silver rings, gold rings, whatever, but I swear to god if my Dad tried any of this shit I would have asked to enter foster care. Creepy shit.

It’s like a wedding but with a twist: Young women exchange rings, take vows and enjoy a first dance…with their dads.
No, that doesnt remind me at all of pedophelia.
Seated at a table with four couples, I watch as the gray-haired man next to me reaches into his breast pocket, pulls out a small satin box and flips it open to check out a gold ring he’s about to place on the finger of the woman sitting to his right. Her eyes well up with tears as she is overcome by emotion.

The man’s date? His 25-year-old daughter.
*twitch* Nope. Nothing weird about this at all. Not even a whiff of incest.

Dude, 25??? 25 is certainly a weird time to be taking a chastity pledge with your father, but watch this video. Check out the end-- 10 year old?? 4 year old??? WTF!

"Pastor Fred, I just dont know what to do! Im afraid my 4 year old daughter is going to be a whore!"

Watch the top video. Every Sunday, these kids get on their knees in front of their father and he 'blesses them.'

WHAT? Are these people insane??
While the abstinence movement itself is fairly mainstream—about 10 percent of teen boys and 16 percent of girls in the United States have signed virginity pledges at churches, rallies or programs sponsored by groups such as True Love Waits
Uh huh. Then they all break these pledges, cause sex is a normal human urge/need-- but they dont know how to use condoms so theyre wonderful little baby factories.

They also 'reclaim' their virginities at a later date (because sex is shameful), tell their new partners that theyre virgins, and turn into wonderful little STD factories.

This shit doesnt work.

Oh, and here I am, silly heathen child who missed out on the wedding dress ballets around a cross, who got a frank and honest sex-ed discussion from her parents, who got birth control no questions asked when I wanted it, hmm not preggars and no STDs.

Yes, denying your emotions is the 'healthy' way of addressing sex, and denying physical urges is a great way to build 'healthy' relationships. Thats 'sarcasm', Creepy Mother.

Good god-- my childhood wasnt perfect, but seeing insanity like this reminds me how lucky Ive been.

5 comments:

Kristjan Wager said...

I have too words: creepy and sick.

The whole concept freaks me out. And I hate how the article make it into some kind of bonding thing between fathers and daughters. It's not. It's a control thing.

As an aside, I would like to see documentation for the claims that a strong bonding between fathers and daughters lead to more independent etc. daughters.

Kristjan Wager said...

too? two. Beer and commenting obviously doesn't work too well together.

ERV said...

Its certainly not sewing up labias, but the idea is the same.

And I had/have a wonderfully strong bond with my father (more so than my mother-- Daddys Girl), but shit he never tried to pull this creepy shit! Silly man 'Just wants me to be happy'. Heathen.

hehe Dude yesterday I posted a comment on Pandas Thumb that basically reiterated the OP... Not on purpose. I thought I was adding to the conversation. Certainly worse than a typo, and I didnt have the excuse of beer. Only a end of the week fritz!

coturnix said...

Oh, this has been all over the feminist blogs for months - just check out myriads of posts that mentionpuriyt balls over on Pandagon.

ERV said...

Uuuuugh! My sentiments exactly! "I have to go boil the computer now."